SSC351 QUIZ #2
PART I (10 MARKS)
Please respond to each of the following statements by indicating whether it is true or false. Shade =T= if the statement is true or =F= if the statement is false on the answer sheet provided.
- Individuals in organization must never be delegated authority commensurate with their assigned responsibility.
- Employees receiving orders from more than one supervisor gets the benefit of the various supervisors expertise hence helping them achieve objectives more successfully.
- The earliest and simplest form of organizational structure is the line organization.
- The attitude of personnel is not a factor that determine the feasibility of centralization.
- Problem solving is considered a managerial skill.
- A problem can be defined as a deviation between which is and that which is desired.
- Logical ability is not important when solving problems.
- The amount of information being communicated must be considered in selecting the communication channel.
- Communication channel is the medium that transmits the message from the sender to the receiver.
- Giving subordinates job-related instruction is an example of upward communication.
PART II (10 MARKS)
Please respond to each of the following questions by selecting the best choice from the alternatives given. Shade either =A=, =B=, =C=, or =D= on the answer sheet provided for each corresponding question to indicate your answer.
- What is meant by span of control?
- The number of subordinates an individual is able to supervise effectively.
- The number of machines controlled by a worker.
- The ability to control the whole organization with small number of managers.
- The number of supervisors needed to control a particular group of workers.
- Encouraging employees to participate as much as possible in making decisions that affect all aspects of their jobs is known as __________________.
- employee control.
- employee empowerment.
- employee participation.
- employee decision-making.
- Which of the following organizational structures has the advantage of freeing line employees from having to perform specialized activities that can be assigned to staff employees?
- Line structure.
- Line and staff structure.
- Product structure.
- Matrix structure.
- The Principle of Unity of Command states that
- Employees must be delegated authority commensurate with their assign responsibility.
- Each employee should receive orders from and be responsible to only one supervisor.
- The number of subordinates under each supervisor should be limited to a manageable number.
- Only top managers are given authority to give commands.
- Centralization of office activities results in the following advantages except:
- Work methods and procedures are carried out more uniformly.
- Duplication of effort and equipment occurs less frequently.
- Absence of an employee does not disrupt the performance of a task.
- The confidential status of materials can always be maintained.
- The conditions and factors surrounding the problem and directly involved in its solution is the __________________ environment.
- administrative office management
- uncontrollable variables
- Analyzing a problem is to
- take it apart and examine each element and its relationship to the other elements and to the whole problem.
- decide what main issues of the problem are and clarifying the differences between the major goals and the actual operating conditions found.
- putting the selected solution to work.
- Developing possible solutions to the problem.
- To provide subordinates feedback regarding their performance, the administrative office manager use
- upward communication.
- downward communication.
- horizontal communication.
- diagonal communication.
- In communication, grapevine is a/an
- special communication medium between top managers.
- unofficial and informal communication tool employees often use.
- formal way of communicating information from subordinates to superiors.
- Written communication method between managers.
- Which of the following is not included in the model of the communication process?
- Organization structure
SECTION B (30 MARKS)
Please answer all questions. Write your answers on the spaces provided.
- You are the office manager of XYZ Corporation. In an attempt to increase employee participation in organizational decisions, your corporation creates several committees. All employees are members of at least one committee and some are on several. Considerable time is spent on committee meetings.
When the committees were first formed, employees welcome the move and participated actively in meeting discussions and in the subsequent decision-making. However, as time passed, employees are beginning to feel the stress and many considered the committees a waste of time. They complain that although considerable discussions were made, most of the decisions made are not implemented. They say that management is not serious and usually control meeting sessions and try to persuade them to agree with their ideas. Most of the decisions made in committee meetings are actually dominated by management.
(a) Give two reasons why employee participation in organizational decisions can be achieved through the formation of committees? (4 marks)
(b) Identify three problems that are likely to result from this situation. (6 marks)
(c) Name two advantages and two disadvantages of committee structure. (8 marks)
2. List in correct sequence the 8 steps in the problem-solving process. (8 marks)
3. List four purposes of communication. (4 marks)
END OF QUESTION PAPER
MODEL ANSWER AND MARKING SCHEME FOR SSC351 QUIZ #2
PART I (10 MARKS) TF
PART II (10 MARKS) MULTIPLE CHOICE
SECTION B (30 MARKS)
1(a) Give two reasons why employee participation in organizational decisions can be achieved through the formation of committees (4 marks)
- Committees usually engage in face-to-face communication in meetings and this allows people to actively participate in discussions when making decisions.
- Committees put together people from different departments with different background, experiences, views, and interests. This situation encourages people to participate in decision-making, particularly in decisions that affect them.
- Committee meetings provide excellent opportunities for people to socialize and if handled well, can make people feel at ease and this enhances the sharing of ideas and opinions when making decisions.
- When employees are selected to be members of a committee, they will perceive themselves as being useful. They will feel that their opinions are appreciated, hence this will motivate them to give ideas and opinions when making decisions.
1(b) Identify three problems that are likely to result from this situation. (6 marks)
The following problems will like arise:
- employee will discontinue providing ideas.
- they will become demoralized.
- they will not longer care about the success of the organization or its operations.
- They might feel that they are merely being "used" by management.
1(c) Name two advantages and two disadvantages of committee structure. (8 marks)
- Recommendations made by a committee are often accepted more readily than are those made by one individual.
- The widely varying views of the committee members broaden the nature of their recommendations and increase their acceptance by others.
- Reduces the risk of making a wrong decision.
- Committees are often criticized for requiring considerable time to function properly.
- Not all committees are equally productive, especially those dominated by certain individuals.
- List in correct sequence the 8 steps in the problem-solving process. (8 marks)
- Recognize the problem.
- Define the problem.
- Collect relevant information.
- Analyze relevant information.
- Develop alternate solutions to the problem.
- Choose the best solution.
- Implement the solution.
- Evaluate the results.
3. List four purposes of communication. (4 marks)
- To inform.
- To persuade.
- To evaluate.
- To instruct.
- To meet human and cultural needs.
[1 mark awarded each for any four correct purposes as listed above. Please note that the student is only required to list the purposes. It is not necessary for them to provide any explanation.]
END OF MODEL ANSWER & MARKING SCHEME